Monday, November 28, 2011
Hopi Torvald Almanac Vol 11 - November by HopiTorvald
November was pretty great. There were some little hurdles to make it over at the beginning of the month, but they ended up being for the best, as my mind has been a bit clearer, my anxieties more relaxed and my overall productivity boosted..."re-setting" has been the theme...the month ending with a more than satisfying visit to see the m and p for thanksgiving...
many little highlights here and there...live shows, making music, recording, mucho spa time, time with friends well spent....oh, and i had to go to traffic court this month...4 hours of waiting, but i took the day off work and it ended up being one of the best days i've had in ages.
i will have to stop distinguishing songs as "anomalies in the hopi catalog" since each of these things is quite different. i think an anomaly would be a noisy drone song at this point...so this particular tune is about owls and feeling good. it has a little dancey edge to it, i guess...somewhere beneath the swarm and clamor...synths, drum machine, live percussion, and yeah...buncha owls...
this month's randomly ordered top ten:
1. owls - they hoot up a mighty fine racket in my backyard almost nightly now...love those things!
2. thanksgiving - i've become less and less of a holiday person, but going home this year was rejuvenating and relaxing...got to spend great time with my m and p, my sisters and their critters...and bingo the one-eyed dog.
3. david thomas in todd's living room. yeah, the once larger-than-life pere ubu frontman is doing a living room circuit! he played accordion and sang depressing songs about regret and tainted love. it was sad, weird and somehow beautiful.
4. new websites being put together for both hopi torvald and the holy amalgamation (thanks to sadie for all the help!) will be sharing these with everyone once they are tuned up a bit more.
5. the hopi 2011 almanac release currently slated for around christmas time. working out packaging details and such now! this will contain all 12 almanac songs, some bonus songs, and some other non-musical goodies...details pending
6. hopi/nows split (mentioned in an earlier post) from the beginning of the month..working on more collaborations...
8. gentleman broncos - don't be embarrassed to tell your friends how genius you think this movie is...
9. upcoming out-of-town shows and the upcoming annual respite from the cold event that robby and i are piecing together at eyedrum for december 17th! it's at the first existentialist church this time! details on the lineup will be rolled out soon...
10. talk talk, sudden infant, colin blunstone, jean-claude vannier, miles davis, dave brubeck, omar souleyman, rahsaan roland kirk, etc etc etc.
anyway, enjoy the song, enjoy yourself, and keep in touch.
at 5:49 PM
Thursday, November 17, 2011
Hopi Torvald Almanac Vol 10 - October by HopiTorvald
October was a crazy little month for me...kinda flew by. played a show with tree creature at joe's coffee in EAV which was a ton of fun (mos def wanna bring hopi torvald to that venue)...did some stargazing, spent a lovely day at the hambridge center for creative arts...beautiful day with all kinds of good food/music/entertainment)...had a string of late nights which left me tired and spent...and in need of spa time, and the whole thing ended with a lovely and low-key halloween (the way i dig it) which consisted of dan deacon's comedy tour at eyedrum and a wild night at the gold room (imagine shoulder to shoulder ballers, celebrity rappers in the house, and someone trotting in on a real live horse as part of their costume..ha)...anyway, it flew by...all for the best as it proved cathartic and transmogrifying...
so this song, hot on the heels of last month's 17 minute epic, is a short little ditty...just over two minutes...all about hopefulness, finding joy and peace, and living life...cause nothing gets easier, friends....just different...a subtle loping field recording loop sets the pace for whistling and layers of buzzy synths...that's about it. a few cymbals and slightly cheesy vocals smooshed in there...
this month's randomly ordered top 10:
1. outdoor shows
3. autumn (changing leaves, cooler weather, the holy amalgamation not being so sweltering anymore...)
4. pumpkin stuff
5. secret chiefs, michael white, ornette coleman, gospel hymns, drones on all fronts, talking heads, stereolab, dumb top 40 dance songs, rhys chatham, noise, scrapes, and field recordings of owls, wolves, loons, and simians!
6. sauna time
7. harmonic frequencies and sound therapy
8. putting out a cassette in the upcoming months
10. recording and mastering for friends
anyway, hope your october was smashing (pumpkins), enjoy the tune, and keep in touch.
at 6:57 PM
Saturday, November 5, 2011
a collaboration between hopi torvald and atlanta's nows! song one was created when nows sent me a droney audio track and i chewed it up and spat it out as a rollickin' waltz song...a little lovelorn ditty...track two...well, i don't remember what i gave nows to work with because it came out so blisteringly unrecognizable...it's sort of a monster. i really like what nows does with racket and i hope we all get to hear more from him rather soon.
nuff said...dig it!
Hopi Torvald/ Nows Split 01 by HopiTorvald
Hopi Torvald/ Nows Split 02 by HopiTorvald
at 6:47 PM